Boulder Eldercare Consulting
Walk Me Through This One
Are you facing a dreaded diagnosis, a fall, an injury? Or maybe an eviction notice, a move, a repeat hospitalization or rehab stay? Has the worsening of dementia or chronic illness made prior arrangements unworkable? These fearful situations stress an individual, couple, or family system greatly. One or more consultation sessions can lead to the actions and decisions that resolve these difficult situations, and at the same time reduce worry, stress, and time off for family caregivers.
I meet with individuals, couples, and families to assess needs and make a plan to enhance safety and quality of life while reducing risks for impaired adults and their families.
Consultation helps people live safely in their preferred environment for as long as possible, experience illness and change with loving support, and reduces worry and stress for family members. You will know that you are doing all that can be done.
Consultations involve attention to many aspects of life:
- Activities of daily living (cooking, eating, bathing, dressing, toileting, shopping, transportation) to identify problem areas and make a plan to accomplish them safely
- Housing, whether the desire is to stay home or to move to a more supportive environment, such as a senior community, assisted living, or nursing home
- Home care -- determining the type and frequency of services that are right for a situation, and engaging these services
- Physical health -- helping an individual adhere to a medication regimen or medical plan of care
- Mental health -- treatment for anxiety, depression, and other conditions limiting the quality of life
- Communication -- how family members and multiple providers stay abreast of well-being and changing needs over time
- Psychosocial, cultural, spiritual, creative -- promoting connection and access to meaningful activities and community
- Legal and financial -- accessing bill paying, community resources, and advance care planning including assigning power of attorney and end of life wishes
- Values and preferences of all involved.
A written care plan will be created following the consultation, and can be modified as circumstances evolve.
These situations are hard, requiring us to face mortality and anticipate loss. Solution-focused family therapy may also be offered as an additional means of support.
"Life gets mighty precious when there’s less of it to waste." --- Bonnie Raitt (at age 66)